Tuesday 6 January 2015

First meeting of the WGO Book Club

                         
Last night was the first meeting of the Women's Guild Oman Book Club, which I have taken the responsibility of organising. I've always loved reading, but I got back into it again after moving to Muscat. I had a lot of time on my hands, and access to books was easy as I have converted to reading books electronically and downloading them. The great thing about reading is that you don't need anyone else to enjoy it, but, that said, it is always good to find others with common interests, and I have always wanted to be part of a book club.

We met in Gloria Jeans, The Wave, and settled on the sofas with hot drinks in hand. We discussed the book The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green, which I thought was fantastic and, despite the two main characters having cancer, very uplifting. The book was easy to read and the story gripping, so I whizzed through reading it in about four days.

What I liked most about the book club was the opportunity to look at the book on a deeper level. Honestly I am a bit of a superficial reader, I stopped doing in-depth analysis of books after English GCSE, and usually base my opinion of a book on nothing other than if I enjoyed reading it. I do find that with books I miss the small details, I get wrapped up in the characters and story so much that plot twists tend to catch me, unlike in films/TV shows where I am much better at predicting what will happen next.

The book had some great quotes, and I think what I liked best about it was how it made me think about love, life, living, and death. I don't want to give too much about the plot away, because I really do recommend it to all (although I have watched the film too and it is a good portrayal of the book if reading isn't your thing).

To end this post I'll  leave you with one of my favourite quotes.

“You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.” 
John Green

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin