Thursday 21 May 2015

Beyond Oman: A long weekend in Dubai and great Eggspectations

To make the most of the first long weekend since the beginning of the year, we decided to visit Dubai for a bit of a change of pace.

I still can't decide if flying or driving is a better option; this time we drove. I really enjoy the drive, which is easy for me to say as a passenger. I like to see the sudden flick in the landscape from mountains to sand dunes. The entering and exiting borders multiple times is a bit annoying though. Depending on the driver, and how busy the border is, the drive takes between 4 to 5 hours.

We took advantage of a 2 for 1 voucher we had for the Movenpick Hotel Ibn Battuta, a beautiful 5* hotel located just outside of the main stretch of the city. I could see the Ibn Battuta mall from my hotel room, which was a sight for sore eyes. 
Movenpick Dubai Ibn Battuta
Movenpick Dubai Ibn BattutaIbn Battuta Mall



And that was pretty much what our weekend was made up of: walking around malls and eating junk food, of course. In our defence, unless we were going to hit the water park it was too hot for anything else. I'm not sure if it is as hot here? I saw a lot of people on Jumeriah beach turning a nice shade of pink and as inviting as the beach front looks with its sunbeds and umbrellas I decided to stay indoors. 

We ended up at the Jumeriah Beach Residence area because we were looking for a restaurant I had seen blogged about: Eggspectation. 

Unsurprisingly, they serve a lot of egg-based dishes. Omlettes, pancakes, French toast, etc., but there are also burgers, salads, and a healthy section. The concept is all-day dining and if you are after brunch then the place is ideal.

Eggspectation DubaiGreat Eggspectations Eggspectation Dubai






Great Eggspectations Eggspectation Dubai



My one-word review?  It was "Eggcelent". My favourite of the dishes we tried was called Eggstravaganza, which was a combination of sausages or bacon, fried eggs, potatoes, and French toast. Completely indulgent and probably awful for you, but since we had the Dubai Mall to work our way around we were sure to burn off the calories. 

Surprisingly, I was quite restrained shopping wise. I got some books that I couldn't get here and just a few bits of makeup. Ladies (and men) if you are interested you can take a look at those, here.

I would quite like to make a trip to Dubai a regular thing, it would be nice to use each visit as an opportunity to explore a different part without the pressures you would normally have if you were only there for a one-week holiday. I’m specifically thinking of the old side of town.

Do you use Dubai as a break from Muscat and if so where do you go?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin